After sleeping in as long as I possibly could, I set out to see Dublin. The first thing I discovered was that the Irish general elections was coming up soon. It was hard to miss since every lightpost far and wide was plastered with faces of candidates. Amongst them all I found the candidate for me.
I don't think his chances of winning are very good, but Bert's not such a bad candidate. Sure he'd have a nervous breakdown at least once a day, but at least you'd know he really cares.
There are a half-dozen main attractions that everyone must see in Dublin. I saw 2.5 of them: Grafton Street, Temple Bar, and Trinity College (without visiting the Book of Kells)
Instead, my top priorty was just looking around and taking in the sights, like the colorful doors of Dublin. Most older cities are a composite of blah colored stone buildings. Although this is also true of Dublin, the doors of each of the buildings is painted any number of cheerful, bright shades. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but the little patches of color in the city really brightens things up.
Favorite quote of the day: On my way to Athlone for the evening I got lost (go figure), and I stopped at a gas station to get directions.
ME: Excuse me sir, can you tell me where I am?
IRISHMAN: You're in the middle of Ireland.
1 comment:
Reminds me of all those jokes about an Irishman walking into a bar but I feel that they pail in comparison to your story.
Your little bro
Post a Comment