Sunday, October 19, 2008

It Came to Pass

When asked for my favorite scripture, I simply say:

"And it came to pass"

It occurs over 450 times in the standard works, and whenever I come across it, I'm reminded that the sad, bad, unpleasant, boring, intolerable times in life will pass--sometimes like a kidney stone--but they pass none the less.

Winston Churchill once said, "If you are going through Hell, keep going." Every story is a tragedy if stopped at just the wrong place, but if you can keep yourself going in a forward direction, your story could become anything from an inspirational drama to a romantic comedy.

My problem is that I'm one of those pesky people who likes to read the last 10 pages of a book before I'm half way through the story. I simply prefer knowing what sort of ending to expect before I get there, so I find it annoyingly frustrating that I can't look ahead to see the exciting conclusion to my own life story.

*sigh*

I know it's really a blessing. Since I don't know the ending, I get to experience a life that is more of a "choose your own adventure " story. I make choices and witness how those decisions mold and shape the plot.........

Hey, maybe that means I get to choose the genre too. I'm hoping for a bittersweet romantic comedy (cue romantic theme music). Let's see I'll need a handsome gentleman or better yet, a sweet, kind, slightly geeky guy friend who is in the right place at the right time, to catch my eye and capture my heart. You know maybe my story will turn out just fine and perhaps my happily ever after is just waiting to happen, if I can just move past the disappointments and complications I'm facing today.


"In three words I can sum up everything
I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

"The best way out is always through."
-Robert Frost

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad you chose romantic comedy not horror for you genre. My family's favorite saying is that "life is a comedy, not a drama."

Katie said...

Hm I like these ideas.

Some times it is so comforting and others so FRUSTRATING that we really have no control over time. No way of knowing the future and no way of preventing the present from becoming the past.

Sigh... bittersweet is right.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen "Stranger Than Fiction"? "And it came to pass" is reminding me a bit of "Little did he know . . . ".

I totally see a romantic comedy for you. It's just difficult because yours is one of those rare clever and surprising rom-coms, rather than a predictible, groany one. If that makes sense . . .

Could we order two of those sweet, geeky, friend types? Oh, and I love the idea of HIM being in the right place at the right time rather than YOU. :)