Monday, February 8, 2010

Teasing Target

Some people are the object of affection. Other people are cruising for a bruising. I am a target for teasing. What do I mean by that? Well, I'm not sure how I do it, but people really, really, really like to tease me.

I ran into someone yesterday that I haven't seen in about 8 years. I walked up to him and reintroduced myself. We talked briefly about our common past, but he couldn't quite remember me. About 10 minutes later he came back up and said, "I remember you now. I was so mean to you. I'm so sorry that I was so mean." I had left that detail out when speaking to him earlier. He really was. He used do anything to get under my skin, and there was nothing I could do about it. We were co-chairs of a committee so all I could do was give him the evil-eye and wish the ground would open up and swallow him whole. I still remember the Grinch-like smile he'd give me when he knew he's won yet another round of teasing. While I despised that smile, I'd never say I hated him. It was teasing after all. It's not like he was throwing rocks, rotten fruit, or small animals at me*.

And that really got me thinking. Teasing is a huge part of my life. My brothers and sisters tease me. My parents tease me. My nieces and nephews tease me. My bosses tease me. My coworkers tease me. My friends tease me. My ex-boyfriends tease me (before and after the break-up).

Later when I found myself being teased by one of my friends, I asked why teasing me was such a fundamental part of our friendship. He then replied, "You're fun and I never have to worry you're going to take it too serious." He also paid me a lovely complement of telling me that I am one of only two girls at church he would choose to sit and talk with because we are both so easy going and friendly.

So here's a question I will pose to all you readers out there, what makes me so teasable and is being teasable a good thing or a bad thing? I'm really hoping it's a good thing because after all these years, I beginning to think this is a basic component of my existence. :) Talk to me here. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

*if he had thrown, say a wolverine, at me, I might have considered hating him, unless that wolverine happened to be Hugh Jackman. If that were the case, I would have given my teaser a big hug and thanked him profusely.

3 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

yep. It's good. Teasing looks good on you because you take it so well. You tease back. I can't say you start it in all cases; but you do start it at least sometimes.
You interact through teasing. You invite it. It's how you put people at their ease and show them that you're comfortable with them.
It's a good thing.

Rob said...

As your Big brother it was kind of my Job to tease. As the one who probally teased you the most. I would say that being a teasable person is a good thing. It means people like you. Adult People who tease don't tease people they hate them, quite the contrary they tease people that they like to be around. It shows that you are a good sport, a relaxed person that takes things in stride.

However, I have learned through the years that you do have limits to your good nature. I should know, since I pushed past those limites several times. I would embrace and have fun with it. I also know that you can deal it out as much as you receive it.

I know you still harbor a bit of a grude for some of my teasing, but I also think you realize that it was all in fun. I miss having you around to tease every once and a while. Remember, I wouldn't tease if I didn't care.

Aleigh said...

Thanks for your input. It would seem being teasible is a generally a good thing. I guess I cancel that appointment with a shrink. :)