Friday, February 24, 2012

Where Art Thou Good Samaritan?


It should have been the perfect morning when I came strolling out of my apartment that day. From my hair and make-up to the short skirt and heels, I was destined for a great day in the office followed by a wonderful evening at an after-work function to follow. I'm not sure at what point Fate decided I needed to be taught a lesson, perhaps it was when I gave myself a snug nod for my amazing parallel parking job, but as I started to ease my way onto to the road, Fate backhanded me. I hadn't even pulled completely out of my parking spot when I heard the dreaded thud, thud, thud.

You have got to be kidding I told myself, as I got out of my car to stare at a very flat tire. I considered my options. Here I was alone on a quiet residential street, without a passerby to be seen. I could have called AAA, but wait, I don't have AAA. So my options were to wait for some nice person to stop and help me, or I could dig the spare out of my trunk and fix it myself. I'm not terribly patient, particularly when I'm waiting for a miracle to come walking down the street, so I got to work........all the while wearing a short skirt and heels.

The first passerby was actually a car the slowed down to the speed of a legless turtle in tar as it turned the corner. Perhaps they feared I was going to suddenly throw myself in front of their wheels, but after a few brief moments of slow-motion gawking, they stepped on the gas and vanished.

The second person was a business man dressed in a crisply ironed white dress shirt. He was walking a fluffy thing that appeared to be a rat in sheep's clothing, but it may actually have been a miniature version of a dog. The man glanced down at me, then my grease smeared hands, then his very white shirt, then his so-called dog, and then back to me. Without a word the man continued on his way.

The third person to pass by was a semi-professional speed walker, who didn't seem to notice me the first or second times she passed me by as I struggled to crank the jack up the car up high enough to get the tire off the ground.

The fourth and fifth people to pass by were two walkers who said, "We just had to tell you how impressed we are with you. You go girl." They continued on their way without breaking pace, and I barely had a chance to say, "Thanks" before they were beyond earshot.

Just as I was tightening the last lug nut on the spare, a nice man came over and asked me in broken English if I needed any assistance. I smiled and thanked him for his offer, but what I really wanted to say was, "You must not be from around here. Any chance you are from Samaria?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see the title but no text. So where's the blog entry?

Aleigh said...

Sorry about the blog-less title. I had only started working on it one day when my computer crashed. Why blogger decided that the right thing to do in that situation is post the title and then delete everything else that had been written, will forever be a mystery to me.