Thursday, September 25, 2008

Spider Dilemma

This morning I awoke to discover a spider on the blinds above my bed.


Though my mother always encouraged catch and release of the household spider, I have come to prefer the squish and flush method. The precarious placement of this arachnid was the only reason it's fate was not so quickly decided.

It was going to be difficult to kill it in the first attempt due to the odd angle of the blinds. Since my bed is directly below the blinds, I definitely wanted to avoid having an arachnoleptic fit (n. frantic dance performed by one who has dislodged a spider) when it escaped into my bedding. Instead I considered for a moment what to do.

I decided the best thing to do would be to take a picture of it. The flash would startle it enough to get it moving, and with any luck it would move into a more appropriate squishing location, then BAM!

What I discovered instead is that this particular spider wasn't going anywhere since it was enclosed in a web.


I was suddenly stuck with a moral dilemma. Killing this helpless creature was like shooting fish in a barrel. It couldn't very well run away or escape if it had wrapped itself in a web. This spider had obviously chosen this location to hibernate for the winter because it thought it safe from any danger. Could I really do in a spider when it was in its safe place? A place where it could lay its eggs.............with that thought, a vision danced in my head of 100's of 1000's of tiny spiders swarming all over me as I slept.

BAM!
dilemma solved


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made the right decision. No guilt.