Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Forgotten Friends


Facebook is a wonderful invention. Thanks to that networking site I am connected with 320 friends and family, many of whom I haven't seen in years, if not decades. It keeps me up-to-date on their relationship statuses, birthdays, and any new developments in their lives. But today it got me thinking a bit about forgotten friends.

There are friends of mine that I will never find on Facebook because I've forgotten more about them than I can remember. These are people that at one time or another were my good friends. I can tell all sorts of stories about about the river rafting, camping, and road trips we went on. I even have pictures of many of them, but I'm missing the most vital piece of information.......their names.

Here's a few of the more memorable amongst the forgotten friends:
  • CTR Tattoo boy - The only person I've ever met to have a CTR tattoo on his stomach. Besides throwing me an awesome 21st birthday party (which included freakshow entertainment), we used to talk for hours upon hours about......who knows what. No seriously, I don't remember. But we did have a lot of fun doing silly things together like catching frogs at the church camp-out.

  • Donalee - we used to commiserate over the curse of curly hair and our frustration with guys. When she got engaged I went to all her wedding showers and her wedding reception, but I can't remember her maiden name, let alone her married one.

  • Red-haired Crush - I was 18. He was 24. He was my crush, and I was his trusty side-kick (much to my chagrin). Regardless, we had a lot of fun together. I seem to recall our leaving a toilet on someone's doorstep in the middle of the night. I wonder if that was legal? Anyway I can't tell you his name, but I know he that majored in Park & Recreation.

  • The Misogynist - This self-proclaimed hater of women who became my most trusted counselor. We would talk together at length about our dating conundrums. Because of this, I had the privilege of being privy to how his now wife managed to melt his stone-cold heart simply by being herself.

I really wish I could contact these forgotten friends. I want to know what happened in their lives. Are they living in the states or abroad? Did they marry? Did they have kids? What are their careers? In short, I may not remember their names, but I still count them as my friend. I just hope that someday I'll bump into them on the subway or at the grocery store, and perhaps it won't be too awkward when I ask them to remind me of their name.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What would be fabulous is if one of them cam across this blog by accident and you were reconnected. I'm glad you have good memories of them nonetheless.

Laura said...

I, too, have some friends with whom I would love to reconnect. For example, there was this crazy roommate I had who used to make things like bacon peanut butter bread and avocado cookies. Wish I could find her, so that I would know if it was all just a weird dream...

Anngee and Shane said...

Hey Aleigh. I can't remember last names but maybe they will come to me. The one on the far left is Kara I think and the second from the left is Andrea. I will keep brainstorming.

Aleigh said...

Thanks Anngee!! The two on the left were the ones I couldn't remember. I've got all the other people. Lisa Schmidt is the one in the middle, then me, and my little bro.