Sunday, March 1, 2009

Home Depot Junkie


I..........am...........a............Home Depot............junkie.

You can ask my roommates. I go there almost every day, I know the layout of the store, and soon I'll know all the sales people by name. It's bad, it's real bad.

It all started when I moved in to this illustrious apartment. Some of the former residents had left some odds and ends, which us current roommates sold on Craigslist. This gave us a little mad money that we earmarked for the bettering of our living situation.

As I have the misfortune of being unemployed and happen to be stuck in charming apartment all day, I started to get the fix-it bug. I figured if I'm going to be stuck here I'm might as well make it livable, so using the allotted apartment fund I got to work starring with a simple repair to the broken blinds in my room. When the guy at Home Depot gave me the part I needed, free of charge, I was hooked.

I then decided to hang up a couple Ikea racks in the kitchen for hanging pots and pans. This of course required that I purchase a drill, drill bits, and anchors (at Home Depot). Then I realized that I could change the shower head (purchased at Home Depot) with the help of a crescent wrench and Teflon tape (purchased at Home Depot). Then I had to put in splash guards (attempted to purchase at Home Depot, but had to get at Bed Bath and Beyond) on the bathtub so that the water wouldn’t leak down and damage the water-logged, tile-less floor. This required I get some extra caulk (from Home Depot). I also had to get a new aerator (from Home Depot) for the kitchen sink since because the old one had what appeared to be wood chips lodged in it.

And that my friends pretty much used up the last of the apartment fund, but does that stop me from going to Home Depot. Oh heavens no. I’m a junkie remember. Now I just got to tour the appliance section and drool over the gas ranges. You know ones where you can actually SET the appropriate oven temperature. There’s a 10% off sale of all GE appliances right now, and I’m trying to figure out how I can get my landlord to buy the most basic model. Maybe I could sell a kidney or better yet sell my landlord’s kidney. Do you think he would notice?

5 comments:

Emily said...

i too love home depot and since it's wonderfully warm here i walk the nursery section and look at all the flowers and herbs i want :)

Merinda Reeder said...

I have a "Home Depot: my toy store" mug. That pretty much sums it up... and for my birthday I asked for and got a $30 home depot gift card that is just waiting for the house we're trying to buy. YIPPEE
I think what I want is a 6' fiberglass ladder first.

Michelle said...

I seem to remember your passion for home depot when we first became roommates but it seems to have increased since maybe because of need. Have fun! And no I don't think the landlord would notice if you sold your kidney.

Unknown said...

i'll be in new york the first weekeend in april, you should come down.

Laura said...

I will sell my kidney for your gas stove on the condition that you provide me with baked goods for 12 lunar months.