Let's do a side by side comparison shall we.
KITCHEN
Old Apartment:
All brand new stainless steel appliances including a built-in microwave and dishwasher. Also has tons of cabinet storage space.
New Apartment:
The oven was built shortly after the discovery of fire.
This state of the art white elephant has made cooking a mystery. For instance, if you want to set the oven to 350 degrees, just give the knob a good spin because there are absolutely no numbers on the knob to tell you how hot the oven will get.
Or perhaps you want to cook something on the stove. That's fine just don't plan on using the burner in back.
Bathroom:Old apartment:
Two full baths. One upstairs and one downstairs. Both recently remodeled.
New apartment:
Only one bathroom. Bathtub enamel appears to have been eaten away by some sort of acid.
The toilet rattles when someone sits down and stands up.And my favorite part is the hole that was hidden by a bath mat.
I just got off the phone with the landlord about the hole. He said that he'll be sending someone over in the next couple of days to take a look.Living/Dining Room(s)
Old Apartment: two separate rooms with hardwood floors.
New Apartment: No dining room, just a living room with the most disgusting burbur carpeting. I once attempted to walk across the room barefoot; I immediately went back to my room to put on shoes because the carpet was just that disgusting.
My landlord has given me permission to steam clean the carpets and deduct the amount from my rent. I just hope the carpet does not disintegrate.
My Bedroom
Old Apartment: Fairly small, carpeted and warm.
New Apartment: Much larger which is good since I have to store all of my kitchen stuff there, which is why there's no picture. My room is a disaster area.
So that pretty well sums up my new living situation. The one saving grace to this whole thing is the roommates. They are absolutely great! It's just the apartment that's the pits. I know I'm saving money, but I'm afraid my sanity will be compromised if I stay in this apartment for a full year.
4 comments:
Sounds like your landlord is the opposite of our old one. I certainly miss our old beautiful apartment. I hope you can adjust and organize your kitchen ware. It was lovely talking to you yesterday. Good luck!
At least the living room walls are no longer pumpkin sherbet orange (you're welcome). I take it you're in the blue room next to the driveway, so you'll get to hear Mark coming home from work on his Harley at 5:00 AM during the summer. Lucky you!
Mary wrote a treatise on this apartment during her residence there - check it out at http://maryjoanna.blogspot.com/2005/11/o-home-beloved.html (and be sure you read the comments, because I mentioned something she forgot).
Ah, Avon Street...
don't worry, you were already crazy.
all my love.
Michelle:
The landlords couldn't be more different from one another. I'm beginning to think this one doesn't exist. Good to hear from you as well. I hope California starts to feel like home real soon.
Sylvia:
I do very much appreciate the fact the living room is not sherbet orange. I owe you major kudos. Thanks for forwarding Mary's blog. She did a fantastic job describing the place from top to bottom. I especially loved the bit about the basement. She had me rolling with laughter. ;)
Stumpy:
Thanks. I'm glad to hear my friends are willing to keep me around even in spite of my obvious lack of sanity. ;)
Post a Comment