Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tokens from San Francisco

I had a surprise trip to San Francisco last week. My company decided to have me join my coworkers for a conference in below-grade waterproofing, chimney effects, green roofs, OSHA, and other topics never covered in my psychology or television production college courses. While the talks were informative and interesting, my brain was on overload by day three, so I snuck out during lunch. Since this was my first trip to San Francisco, and I had no other time for sight seeing this was my only opportunity to visit the neighboring vendors.

That's where I met J., a vendor who sells cut coins. He had a whole assortment. Some had sports teams logos, others looked like volleyballs or soccer balls, but this one caught my fancy:


I questioned J. about why this design was on a quarter. I mean wouldn't a four-leaf clover be more fitting on a lucky penny? But J. kindly reminded me that pennies turn green and in turn will turn your skin green (unless you cover the penny with a heavy coat of clear finger nail polish).

Our conversation then turned to the salt flats, John Deere, spinning knives, volleyball courts, Hello Kitty, and super heroes. Before I knew it, I needed to return to my conference, but before I left, J. kindly hand-carved for me this lovely set of earrings:



They were actually supposed to be two charms, like best friends necklaces, for me and my next boyfriend, but where on earth am I supposed to find a guy who:
1) would wear a charm necklace
2) would wear a charm necklace that will turn him green
3) would wear a charm necklace that would turn him green, that was given to me free-of-charge by another guy

I just hope, they won't turn my ears green. Thanks J. :)

4 comments:

Rob said...

I don't know why, but I picture J looking a lot like your Irony Angel. Any way you got a cool pair of earrings, even if they turn your ears green. If they do please take pictures. Seriously, how does he do that, and what does he use to make the cuts. It sounds like it was fun to watch.

Aleigh said...

Haha. Yeah, J. looked just like the Irony Angel......just without the cape, old school 3D glasses, and the underwear outside is clothes. Then make the hair sandy blond, add ~20 years to his age, and stretch him to 6' 4", well there you have it.....He looks absolutely nothing like the Irony Angel. :)

It was really fascinating to watch as he used a jeweler's piercing saw (www.dave-cushman.net/bee/piercingsaw.html) to cut right through the penny like it was butter. He was talking with me the entire time he was cutting, and he didn't use a pattern at all. I was totally blown away by the whole process.

P.S. there will be NO photos of my ears turning green. :)

Anonymous said...

That is awesome.

Stacey said...

Hilarious. Reading this makes me miss you!