Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cry Baby

I hate crying. I really do, so much so I will often laugh when tears would seem more appropriate. Even when I once fell down a flight of stairs--severely injuring my foot along the way--I burst out laughing at the end of it. I can't really explain why I have such an aversion to crying. Perhaps it's because I grew up between two brothers, and a scout troop. Perhaps it's because of that time the family cat scratched me across the face for crying (she was named Princess for a reason). Whatever the reason, I really hate crying.

So I find it completely and utterly frustrating that as a female, I have this tendency to cry at N-O-T-H-I-N-G. What is that all about? Crying at nothing? I could understand if I had lost a limb, been in an accident, had a bad break-up or witnessed a crime. I'm even willing to accept the fact I will sometimes cry at really happy emotional moments like weddings, but crying at nothing is stupid. Just plain dumb, but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

Take today for instance. Nothing was out of the ordinary. I got plenty of sleep. My workload was standard, but for no reason whatsoever the waterworks flipped on. Since I'm not big fan of crying, particularly in public, I'd duck into the bathroom to sob uncontrollably for brief periods of time. But really, is that necessary? Why can't I just reason the tears away? Why can't I simply explain to myself that crying about nothing is a exercise in futility and should not be done. Why? Why? Why? I really despise that the only excuse I can wrangle at all is that I'm a girl, but that just sounds like a cop out. So here I sit crying at nothing, and there's not a darn thing I can do about it. Sometimes I really hate being a girl. :(

No comments: