So why am I blogging about it? Because I am currently the proprietor of Hotel Mono. You heard me right. I have finally caught the stupid disease that should have come and gone over a decade ago.
What causes Mono? That would be this little cutie:
The Epstein-Barr VirusI actually own this giant plush microbe, so I suppose you could say I've had mono for quite awhile. I just had evaded infection until now.
The symptoms are varied, but one of the more common and annoying is the sore throat. It feels like I've gargled a mixture that's equal parts sand, rock salt, vinegar, and cactus prickles. This morning I foolishly examined my throat in a magnified mirror with a flashlight; I saw something like this:

It's as bad as it looks, and that's what finally got me to go to the doctor. I had my fingers crossed for strep, but alas, it turns out crossing one's fingers doesn't do much.
When the Doc looked in my mouth, all he could say was "Wow." Then he checked the lymph nodes in my neck; every last one of them was inflamed. Huh, I guess that's why my neck had been stiff for the last couple weeks.
Then there is that famous symptom, extreme fatigue. I should want to spend days, weeks, and years in bed, but I haven't cared much for sleep. In fact, I haven't cared much about anything. My fatigue has been more emotional than anything, leaving me with a low-grade depression. There's nothing worse than knowing you are fully capable and functional, yet completely apathetic to doing anything. Fortunately this symptom is subsiding.
The bad news is that there isn't much you can do for mono; it will run it's course in about 4 weeks. The good news is that I believe the symptoms, in their entirety, have been evident for about 2.5 weeks. So now all I have to do is sleep, drink fluids, take Advil for the swelling, and avoid kissing anyone. And if any prospective dates are reading this post right now, I won't have to worry about that last one.
The symptoms are varied, but one of the more common and annoying is the sore throat. It feels like I've gargled a mixture that's equal parts sand, rock salt, vinegar, and cactus prickles. This morning I foolishly examined my throat in a magnified mirror with a flashlight; I saw something like this:

It's as bad as it looks, and that's what finally got me to go to the doctor. I had my fingers crossed for strep, but alas, it turns out crossing one's fingers doesn't do much.
When the Doc looked in my mouth, all he could say was "Wow." Then he checked the lymph nodes in my neck; every last one of them was inflamed. Huh, I guess that's why my neck had been stiff for the last couple weeks.
Then there is that famous symptom, extreme fatigue. I should want to spend days, weeks, and years in bed, but I haven't cared much for sleep. In fact, I haven't cared much about anything. My fatigue has been more emotional than anything, leaving me with a low-grade depression. There's nothing worse than knowing you are fully capable and functional, yet completely apathetic to doing anything. Fortunately this symptom is subsiding.
The bad news is that there isn't much you can do for mono; it will run it's course in about 4 weeks. The good news is that I believe the symptoms, in their entirety, have been evident for about 2.5 weeks. So now all I have to do is sleep, drink fluids, take Advil for the swelling, and avoid kissing anyone. And if any prospective dates are reading this post right now, I won't have to worry about that last one.
6 comments:
:,( Sending my love and light your way
Aleigh...sixkids is Jen Peterson...love you so much.
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry! I hope you feel better faster than the doctor says you will. I miss you! And, you wouldn't be in this predicament if you weren't out every night kissing all those boys! Lesson learned :)
Oh No! Get well soon!
I hope you have a speed recovery!
Hee hee... can't believe I missed this. I'm proud of you for getting the kissing disease, but also I hope you're feeling better. ;-)
Post a Comment