Before there was Google, there was my dad; a walking, talking fount of knowledge, who knew everything about anything. And because of this my dad has taught me many things in this life such as....
1. Big words
My dad's vocabulary is immense, and he never watered things down for us kids, so we learned all sorts of scientific terms before entering first-grade. However, I'm going to have to admit that my favorite vocabulary lessons were tied to insult wars with my brothers.
"Dad, I’ve called him a neanderthal, amoeba, and protozoa. I need a new one."
"How about a nudibranch?"
"Right, Rob you’re a……wait, dad, what’s a nudibranch?"
"A sea slug."
"Rob you’re SUCH a nudibranch."
2. If you can do it yourself, then you should
It is thanks to my dad that I know how to install dry-wall, own a drill, and will usually try to fix things myself before calling the landlord or even the attractive neighbor (who I will always call before the landlord). Growing up if there was a project that needed doing--finishing the basement, fixing the car, installing the air-conditioner--my dad would enlist one or more of us to help. This went for more unusual projects too like the summer he helped the scouts in the neighborhood make their own kayaks out of wood, canvas, and a lot of oil-based paint. Since I was the same age as the scouts, I may have been a little more willing to help with this particular project. :)
3. Don't forget to laugh
My dad taught me how to laugh. Infact I have his laugh. It’s one of those laughs that comes from your toes, resonates through your entire body, and makes everyone in the movie theater turn around a look at you.
And there was a plethora of opportunities to hone my laughing skills growing up thanks to my dad’s teasings, the occasional tickle-torture, his silly sayings (I don’t know. I don’t care. I’m just glad elephants don’t swear), and his tendency to hum non-existent tunes. I am a firm believer that a family that laughs together stays together, and based on that, my family is stuck with each other for forever. :)
4. Clothing is mandatory, fashion is optional
For much of my childhood my dad's standard outfit consisted of green jeans and a button up short-sleeved shirt complete with pocket protector filled with mechanical pencils and a fountain pen. His hair was always a tidy buzz cut, not because of any military service but because it was easier (though I also think he liked that it intimidated any would-be suitors for my sisters and myself). But from my dad's sense of style, I learned that it didn't matter what you wear or what hairstyle you sport; just find something that's right for you and wear it proud. It also helps if you scowl at any would be scoffers. :)
So in honor of Father's Day I wanted to thank you, Dad. Thank you for teaching me to think, learn, and laugh. I couldn't have made it to adulthood without you. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment