I have to give credit where credit is due, and I have to thank the abusive bacteria for doing what I couldn’t do on my own, kick the Diet Coke addiction.
I wasn’t proud of my 4+ can a day habit or the fact I maintained a ready supply of Diet Coke in the trunk of my car at all times. Heaven knows I tried everything I could think of to quit (going cold turkey, using a reward system, taking caffeine pills, beating my head with a rock, etc.), but nothing worked.
My “problem” did not go unnoticed by those around me. Coworkers provided me with not so subtle hints like:
Even borderline alcoholics were taking me aside to express their concern about my Diet Coke problem, but still I continued to drink copious amounts of the caffeinated, artificial everything, bubbly cola.
Just as I was beginning to wonder if I’d ever be able to stop, I got strep.
So me and strep, we have a bit of history. I had it once when I was a kid, and it nearly killed me, no really, it tried to kill me. While I knew strep would someday return in an attempt to finish the job, I had forgotten the signs. For future reference, it starts with just a hint of a headache, a little soreness, and a bit of queasiness. The symptoms slowly increase in intensity until a fever sets in, at which point my head feels like it’s locked in the claws of a giant lobster, my stomach is its very own yo-yo tilt-a-whirl, every muscle in my body aches, and death would be a welcome relief. Oh and eventually my throat feels a little sore.
My standard treatment for headaches and/or an upset stomach
Fast forward a few days. After going to the doctor, taking antibiotics, and sleeping for 2.5 days straight, I was on the mend and feeling pretty good; however, I couldn’t stomach the thought of drinking a Diet Coke. I just couldn’t bring myself to even open a can, since my body and mind now associate Diet Coke with developing horrible headaches and vomiting, all thanks to some good ol’ fashioned pavlovian conditioning. So thank you Streptococcus A for taking care of my Diet Coke habit, and here’s hoping I don’t need your help for anything ever again.


3 comments:
Congratulations on beating your Diet Coke addiction.
How did I miss this post??? Thanks for the laugh, and sorry about the strep - nasty stuff, it is.
So... are you still off Diet Coke?
Yep, still off of Diet Coke. Can't stomach the thought of drinking it again, so it appears that I'm cured. ;)
Post a Comment