Sunday, September 29, 2013

Decisions.....

It's a good thing I blogged about my awesome birthday last year, because my birthday this year choked and died on the news that one of my wee nieces has Leukemia.


When I heard the news, my imagination immediately conjured up images of the Grimm Reaper himself showing up at my door, complete with a birthday card and balloons, “Happy Birthday Aleigh, your niece has cancer.  Have a great day.”  

Sometimes I really wish I could punch my imagination in the face.

Regardless, this whole experience has helped remind me of a few things:

1)  Mortality doesn't last forever.  Everybody has an expiration date, and you never know when yours (or that of your loved ones) will be up.
2)  Los Angeles is a very long ways away from pretty much everyone that I love
3)  Los Angeles has never felt like home.  I've been here for 4 years now, and I still feel like a foreigner.  I don't think anyone could argue that I haven't given it a fair shake.
4)  I HATE being so very far away from my family

I'm still mulling over what I want to do next.  Big decisions lay ahead, and a very sick little girl is 1,000 miles away.  One way or another, I think it may be time for me to go home......at least for a while.  

3 comments:

Laura said...

I am so very sorry. Nothing in the universe makes me sadder than sick kids. I do hope to see more of you, but I'm sorry about the circumstances.

Krystal said...

Oh dear friend, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Is this family that is in Utah. If so, we have a group of moms-utah moms with cancer fighting cuties. It might help your niece's parents a great deal. It's a great source of support and help. If they don't live in Utah, I can help with anything they need. I am so sorry for you and your family...much prayers to all of you. Love you, Krystal

Krystal said...

Btw, if they want help or need help, just email me at eakhansen@yahoo.com or find me on facebook if you are on. Again, God be with you and your family.