Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Finding Love In The Time of Texting

It would seem the internet community has taken a special interest in my plight as a single adult. Almost every website I visit is wallpapered with ads to help me find love or at the very least a cowboy, a devout christian, a nice jewish boy, or a single dad.  And let us not overlook the emails I get from dating sites that want desperately to match me with my perfect someone.  One in particular likes to send me pictures and information about the quality men that they think are meant for me.  Here's my favorite example of said emails: 

  

I'm not sure if it's the haircut, the mustache or the name, but if Randy_Man is truly my match, I'd rather spend eternity alone. I'm just saying there are things that are much, much worse than being single.

But alas,  I've found myself in a bit of conundrum.  Either I really throw myself into the online dating world or risk going the rest of my life (or at least several weeks) without a date.  So I did some research (mostly asking people).  It seems that one of the best dating sites out there is Match.com, but I was a little concerned about the fact that I'm Mormon.  My previous attempts at dating outside my faith led to some rather difficult conversations....  
While I've also dabbled occasionally on the Mormon dating sites (LDS Single, LDS Mingles, and LDS Planet), I've had rather limited success, but to be fair that might be because I wouldn't pay the membership fee.

Anywho, I had a brilliant idea.  I would pay for one month's membership to Match.com and LDS Planet (the most popular Mormon dating site) and see which one helped me make the most/best connections.  My profile on each is pretty much identical.  Except for some reason LDS Planet cropped this picture:


So it is now:

Why would they do that?  Are jumper cables somehow suggestive or inappropriate?  On second thought don't answer that, I'd really rather not know.

To keep my side-by-side comparison fair, I've made it a rule to respond to every single message I receive and to send at least four messages a day.  So far, I'm four days in and Match.com is winning. In fact, I might actually have a date lined up for next week.  But I've still got 26 days to go, so anything could happen.  Let the games begin!

1 comment:

Jen Peterson said...

Good luck, Aleigh! You deserve the best :)