One last day in Ireland.
A few days back, a couple of Scotsmen at my B&B informed me that ALL Americans go to Kilkenny while visiting Ireland. Although they couldn't explain why that is, I decided that it my obligation as an American to at least take a look.
While traveling from Oranmore to Kilkenny, I passed through a vast valley flanked on every side by towering mountains, at which point I had a bit of a Dorothy and Oz moment. I was in a place that geographically reminded me of my hometown in Utah, but in technicolor.
It was like a far greener, less densely populated Salt Lake Valley, void of any air pollution. I'm sure you don't believe me, and I wish I had proof. I would have taken a picture while driving, but I didn't want to further tarnish my Irish driving record with reckless driving.
Upon my arriving at Kilkenny I believe I discovered why Americans go there: good shopping. The town provides a wide array of shops filled with traditional Irish items like linens and Aran sweaters, all in one compact area. Since I'd already done most of my souvenirs shopping, it didn't take long to browse the linen, sweater, and craft stores before I was headed back to Adare.
Adare is the ideal place to start an Ireland vacation. It's close to the Shannon airport, the roads through town are wider than most so you can practice driving on the left side of the road, and it's a beautiful town with thatch roofed cottages.

A well-manicured park

And even the ruined castle is picturesque

The best part of Adare is the Chinese Restaurant that gives you the option of rice or chips with every entree. ;0)
1 comment:
Beautiful pics, oh and dont kill Kenny, he's nice.
Post a Comment