While driving ridiculous speeds along I-84 from NYC to Boston at 1 AM, downing Diet Cokes, and rocking out to hard rock, reggae, and 90's favorites (I still can't get "but you said he's just a friend" out of my head) I had some time to contemplate this trip from which I was returning.
Imagine yourself dressed to the hilt in a ball gown or tuxedo headed to a "fancy" event. You check and recheck your hair or makeup while you travel. You take every precaution that you'll arrive on time, and then upon walking through the door you discover you are at a square dance, and everyone else is wearing jeans. Can you say awkward? Good, I knew you could.
That would my experience on Monday. I went in to NYC for an internship interview for a children's television production. After listening to some very sage advice I made sure I looked as professional as possible. I purchased a suit, straightened my hair, and even had a manicure. I arrived 15 minutes early, only to discover that I was WAY over-dressed. Everyone else in the office was wearing jeans, t-shirts, and khakis. I looked like a lawyer, ready to serve papers. I'm just hoping that the suit wasn't a deterrent, and I still get the internship.
Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I'll keep you posted on the result.
2 comments:
aleigh, i just found your blog from your facebook! how excited am i that you are here!
i know you probably fely awkward being at that interview and "too dressy" but they expect you to look like that, you going to an interview... so don't worry darling... i am sure you rocked the house!!! good luck!
I'm glad I can offer sage advice and not parsley I would accept oregano though :) out of the ordinary and totally not what I expected to hear about the location... they are just weird!
Post a Comment