Friday, August 31, 2007

White Trash Cooking


I found this humdinger of cookbook in the bargain bin at Barnes and Nobles a few years back, but never got around to trying any of the recipes. I'd even forgotten that I owned it until I was unpacking my new apartment.

After reviewing it with my roommates and ruling out some of the recipes which involved some unorthodox techniques,

"When the cooter (turtle) sticks his head out, cut it off with a hatchet."

I selected Peanut Butter Bacon Bread:



Although the recipe seemed revolting, the resulting food product could be plausibly edible, so I tried it.

The loaves looked magnificent and absolutely nummy. However, when it comes to food, presentation can only get you so far. Those who were willing to venture a taste of my little experiment tried to be polite, but not a single person could claim that the bacon-flecked bread appealed to their taste buds.

But I wasn't ready to give up on the recipe quite yet. One of my co-workers has a theory that anything can be made better by adding bacon or chocolate. Since bacon obviously failed in this recipe I thought perhaps chocolate might be a better choice so I made a few modifications.



As it turns out I have a winner. The resulting loaves were gobbled up with hardly a complaint. Now all I have to do is decide which recipe to try next. Christmas Opossum anyone?

No comments: