I decided last week that I needed to kick my Diet Coke habit. The back of my throat was scratchy and raw from the large quantities of artificial sweetened battery acid I was consuming. I even had sores in my mouth. I was up to about 3-5 cans a day, and I simply needed to be done with the stuff.
I’ve tried kicking this habit before to little avail, but this time I had a plan. I was going to use a “patch” for when the headaches hit or I had an overwhelming desire to drink a two-liter bottle. I bought a bottle of No-Doz which I would only use in emergencies. A half a pill contains about the same amount of caffeine as 2 cans of Diet Coke. With this patch in my arsenal I figured I was well on my way to recovery.
I quickly discovered a couple problems. One there is something else in Diet Coke that I’m addicted to. Perhaps it’s the artificial sweetener or it’s a psychological dependency. Regardless, I find myself sitting at my desk—my mouth watering for a DC and that’s after taking a No-Doz “patch.” Problem two—exhaustion. I am a night owl. I stay up until at least 11 PM, but without the large quantities of caffeine I’m dying at about 10:30 PM. It was so bad last night that I honestly contemplated sleeping on my floor half naked because I was too tired to clear off my bed and finish changing into my pajamas.
Well I’m only on day 4 so maybe this will get easier.
4 comments:
I don't know how you get off DC, frankly I don't want to. I'm sure I'll have to detox someday...like when I'm pregnant, but why be a quiter now?
I feel your pain. I have been afflicted by a simmilar addicition. My drug of choice happens to be Mountain Dew- the full sugar hard stuff. I have at times kicked the habit maintaining myself "Caffine Free" for months at time. Unfortunately I find that in times of stress and sleepiness I begin drinking the stuff again. I tell myself that I just need a can or two just to get me by and before I know it I have to kick the habit again.
My method for kicking it, is to ween myself off. The last time I switched first to drinking diet and then to Pepsi because I can't stand the taste of it. I bought a couple of big 12 packs of the cans and over the course of a week or so I went from 5 or 6 cans a day down to 1 can a day. I find that after three or four days of just one can a day I can quit with minimal withdrawls.
I wish I could end this with a tally ( _____ Months Caffine Free) summerizing my time and commitment to the Caffine free wagon but alas I drank a can this morning.
Thanks for the suggestions Bro. I just completed day 5 so we'll have to see if I can keep this up. Best of luck to you in your own fight against caffeine.
I'm on Day 7 myself.
Post a Comment