Today, the first Tuesday of November 2008, is a day of much importance throughout the country. It is the day that we the people elect a new President of the United States.
As monumental as this event is for the country as a whole, it doesn't mean much to those of us living in a very red or very blue state. I live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts one of the bluest states in the union. When I cast my ballot, it means nothing. Regardless of who I vote for, the election will go to the Democratic nominee. It's simply a given.
Don't get me wrong, I did vote, but it wasn't because I thought I could make a difference in the presidential, congressional, or all the uncontested city and state officials elections. It was because of the other questions they put on the ballot.
My favorite was:
Shall the state representative from this district be instructed to vote in favor of amending the state Constitution to replace the state Legislature with 100 randomly selected adult residents of the Commonwealth, each serving a one-year term, to be called the Commonwealth Jury and to have all the legislative and other powers of the current Legislature?
I nearly died laughing. There's some group out there that wants to fire the ENTIRE state legislature and replace it with people who would be FORCED to put their own lives on hold for A FULL YEAR to serve in the Commonwealth Jury. And you thought regular jury duty sucked. I suppose you can guess how I voted on this one. ;)
3 comments:
Oh my gosh! I hadn't heard about that one. That is absolutely hilarious!
that's got to be one of the more interesting amendments i've ever seen. i can't imaging the litigation and chaos that would have caused had a amendment like that passed. everyone should exercise their right to vote, even if you are on the losing side. salute!
Fortunately the ammendment did not pass. It probably would have fared better in The People's Republic of Cambridge
Post a Comment