Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Name that Religion

Who would have thought that finding out that I am Morman could inspire such an entertaining conversation:

Coworker 1 "You're Mormon? You don't meet that many of them."
Me "There aren't so many out this way, but there's quite a few out west."
Coworker 1 "Wait.....who are those people in Utah. Quakers?"
Me "Uh....Mormons."
Coworker 1 "Mormons, really? I met a Mormon once when I ran a B and B. He was real nice, but I really like the Quaker commercials."
Coworker 2 "You mean the oatmeal?"
Coworker 1 "No, these real nice commercials."
Me "The Mormons do a lot of commericials about families."
Coworker 1 "Oh that's it. You really do some great commercials."

And the conversation got worse as we moved to another coworker's desk.

Me to Coworker 3 "Did you know I'm a Quaker."
Coworker 3 "Aren't you Mormon?"
Coworker 1 "I get the Quakers and the Mormons mixed up."
Coworker 3 "Quakers do the furniture."
Me "The Quakers don't do furniture. You sure you're not thinking of the Amish?"
Coworker 3 "No, the Quakers make this furniture with a simple design."
Coworker 1 "You mean Shaker furniture?"
Coworker 3 "Shaker, Quaker, baker, whatever."

At this point I'm dying with laughter. Welcome to Religion 101, and it's going to be a tough course. ;o)

3 comments:

Lady Bills said...

do you work at a mental instituation??? :)

Jer said...

Hey Deming leave the crazies outta this!!!! Nice entertaining post.

Clinton Reeder said...

Yes, I do know how that feels. Every time I meet someone here in Washington D.C. I get the question, are you Mormon? It comes before how are you or how do you like Washington. Makes me laugh.