Saturday, July 28, 2007

Harry Potter in Hogwarts Square

I know what you are thinking, this is soooooo last week, but I unfortunately have a one week lag time when it comes to these things.

Anyway, for one night and one night only Harvard Square became Hogwarts Square. This was so big that, based on the picture below, either

a) All the news stations in town stopped in to cover it
or
b) 4 extra terrestrials thought it would be a good cover for them to "phone home"



The purpose behind all this commotion was that the 7th and final Harry Potter book came out last Saturday at 12:01 AM. People throughout Cambridge and the lands far and wide had ordered their books from the Harvard Bookstore in Harvard Square with the intention of picking up their book as soon as they hit the market on Saturday, and the Business Association of Harvard Square thought,
"$$cha-ching$$"

The square itself was not dressed up but those who visited did. Check out Dumbledore and his girlfriends.

a Weasley relative and friend

and someone swiped the sorting hat.

My friends and I went to UNO's for dinner where Adrianne attempted magic our waiting buzzer.

Unfortunately it didn't work, and we waited another 15 minutes before we were finally seated. We had a lovely dinner of pizza and UNO favorites renamed in honor of the Pottermania of the evening.

After dinner we headed over to Harva...ur...Hogwarts Yard to see the Potter inspired bands. We had unfortunately missed the Hungarian Horntails as well as Draco and the Malfoys, but we did get to see Harry and the Potters whose songs were based on plot lines and scenarios from the book. There was a ditty about Umbridge, one about Hagrid's beard and another about saving Jeanie from Dean.

I'm afraid my pictures for this part of the evening didn't turn out well, but everyone was having a lot of fun and I'm glad I had the chance to experience this once in a life time event. ;o)

No comments: